Nelson Heritage Homes
A key feature of the Nelson Heritage Festival (now known as Tuku 22 Whakatū Heritage Month - changing with the year of celebration) has been the tour of some of Nelson's Heritage Houses, organised as a fundraising event for the Nelson & Tasman Cancer Society. Many of the homes have not previously been open to the public.
Each house has a unique story. Researcher Sarah Ryder, Life Story Writer (Forget-me-not Life Stories) volunteered her time to find information about each of the properties, and working with the home owners, the stories were documented, shared with tour participants and recorded as Prow stories.
The 2018 tour
This tour included eight properties around Nelson, dating from 1854 to 1925, and allowed access to both the gardens and buildings. The buildings ranged from a simple worker's cottage to some of Nelson's grandest homes:
- 33 Seymour Avenue
- 135 Tasman Street
- 246 Rutherford Street
- 36 Brougham Street
- 193 Milton Street (Fellworth House)
- 64 Brougham Street (Warwick House - formerly Sunnyside)
- 224 Collingwood Street
- 14 South Street
The 2019 tour
This tour featured eight properties in Nelson and one in Stoke, dating from the 1840's to the 1920's. It included two of Nelson's iconic Club buildings, as well as more modest family homes.
- 24 Ngatitama Street
- 14 Aldinga Avenue
- 21 Fountain Place
- 21 Seymour Avenue
- 46 Shelbourne Street
- 156 Nile Street
- 24 Richardson Street
- 294 Trafalgar Street (The Nelson Womens Club)
- 61-65 Selwyn Place (The Nelson Club) - research and information supplied by the Club
Featured in 2021
- 35 Washington Road - and its family history.
2018 (updated 2021)
Do you have a story about this subject? Find out how to add one here.
Comment on this story
Further sources - Nelson Heritage Homes
- Inside South St's cottages (1995, December 2) Nelson Mail, p.16 [reviewing White, J. & Edwards, P. (1995) Windows on the Past. Nelson, NZ: South Street residents]
Post your comment
No one has commented on this page yet.
RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments